01 July, 2011

Vegas, baby, VEGAS!!

(holy cannoli.  I've been trying to post this for a few days now, but was having issues with the pictures...)

I arrived back from Las Vegas on Tuesday.  I was basically only there for a day and a half, but it was nice to have a change of scenery.  (Even if that scenery was 107 degrees!) I know some people that live there but since my time was so short and mostly work related I didn't get a chance to see them.  Always next time...

Some highlights from my short time there:

On the plane ride from SF to Vegas I overheard a little boy say he didn't want to gamble while he was there.  What a little prude...

I don't care how many times I travel to LV, I'll never get used slot machines greeting me as soon as I get off the plane!


Classes at Varian were Monday and Tuesday, so I arrived on Sunday.  Sunday night, this was about as sinful as I got.

Hanging out with my two favorite men.  And some Monk reruns in the hotel room...I never realized (because I didn't live here) that show was based in SF!

Luckily as far as the Varian classes went, I pretty much already knew all the stuff...but it's nice to have formal training and reassurance that what I'm doing is right.

(I fully admit, in the past, I've been a major Vegas hater...that city is everything I'm not - over the top, flashy, "LOOK AT ME!!!"    I think that's because the first time I went (over seven years ago...what??  that can't be right!) was for a whole week....most people say don't go for more than a long weekend...THOSE PEOPLE ARE 100% RIGHT.  I realized only being there for a short time, that it's not so bad there.  Over the top, flashy, and "look at me" can be fun...in small doses.  I absolutely want to go back when I can do it right, dress up and just hang out...but only for a few days....anybody game?  Let me know!  It's practically next door for me!)

On Monday night, I decided to hit up the strip...solo.  I wasn't too sure how it would be by myself but it wasn't too bad!  I had a list of places I wanted to see (again) while I was there -- Luxor, NY NY, Bellagio fountains, and Caesars....these were my favs from when I visited before...oh and I had to order a beer (okay, two) so I could walk down the street with it because it's totally legal in LV!!  I'm happy to say I was able to see/do everything on my list -- basically I walked from Mandalay Bay to Caesars and back.   Oh and I walked through the Cosmopolitan (it's one of the newer places on the strip), that place is NICE!

Aureole in Mandalay Bay.  I totally thought this place was made up so I was (way too) excited to see it in person.  It's a restaurant with a HUGE wine tower...waiters actually go up on wires to retrieve bottles of wine!
A closer look at the wine tower.  No joke, this thing is about three stories tall.


Next I hit up Luxor (no pics).  My facebook status: "Just came out $20.60 ahead on the penny slots at the Luxor. I'm quitting while I'm ahead."  Though I was told otherwise/made fun of, I figured $20 was good for penny slots and quit, and that was what I used for my beers on the strip (after tip, beers are about $9!).

Petaluma representing in Vegas!!  (Lagunitas Brewing Company is based in Petaluma)


I've learned whenever I'm in larger cities...NYC, LV, SF...I like to play a little game called "is he gay...or European?" It's a real brain teaser.

After that, I made it to the Bellagio fountains...sadly, it seemed to be country night.  The fountains are amazing, and if you ever get a chance to see them do it, but it's just not the same with country music.   :o/  I want some mother f'ing Sinatra or Dino!

H&M at Caesars.  I know Vegas is all about being flashy and over the top, but even for Vegas this is ridiculous!
The buzzed 12 year old in me thought this was quite funny.



Stay classy Las Vegas!


When I picked Kenai up from lodging, you would have thought he was the one who spent a few days in LV.  We walked in the door, I let him off his leash, and he didn't stop for food or anything he went went straight to my bedroom and passed the f out!
I have never seen him in a sleep this deep.  He was dead to the world!!

2 comments:

  1. I would TOTALLY meet you in Vegas some time for a long weekend! I agree, I normally do not like Vegas, but for 3 days or so, it's totally tolerable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll make plans while you're here. :oP

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have and don't want to create a Google or Blogger account you should be able to use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" (just leave your name in the comment) option from the drop down menu below the comment box when leaving a comment!