11 May, 2011

Mom's long weekend, the end of the world, and Kenai's genealogy REVEALED

This is a long one but I haven't written in a while so it all evens out, right?

My mom was here visiting last weekend.  I haven't see her or my dad since they helped me move out here in September.  She was finally able to meet her sweet, well behaved insane grandpuppy.

Grandma and grandpuppy finally bonding

Kiss attack!!


I had to work a few of the days she was here, so in an effort to make sure he didn't drive her too batty.  I took him to daycare the days I was at work.  One of these days was May 5th.   His daycare had a "Cinco de Canine" party.  They had doggie beer and everything.  (Have I ever mentioned how much I love the insanity that is California?)


Mission accomplished - he was exhausted AND he got this snazzy bandana.  (It's sad when your dog parties harder than you do.)  Sadly he destroyed his bandana on Sunday...I thought it looked good on him.
This pic is from the party on daycare's facebook.  No wonder he was so tired, look at the intense look on that face
(Side note:  It never ceases to amaze the amount of responses I get when I post Kenai related pictures or posts on facebook.  I think I could post a picture of me winning the lotto and it wouldn't get as much feedback as a picture of Kenai in a funny hat.  I'm not complaining.  I'm happy people like hearing about him. I'm just amazed at Kenai's following!  haha)

During her time here, we both learned Kenai is one hell of a watchdog....but not so much a guard dog.  One day, I came home from work and took care of Kenai like I always do while Mom was out with one of her friends.  When they walked into the apartment Kenai was quite upset, as you can imagine he's not used to people (other than me) walking into his house.  He was baaaarking....and barking and barking...sounding like an angry Chihuahua...but the more Mom walked into the apartment, Kenai hid behind me....still barking, but he had to have me between him and the "intruder".  Nerd.

And there was another morning, I think it was Friday morning.  Mom woke up and Kenai had no f'ing clue who she was.  It was like his brain reset.  He was so terrified of her.  It was insanely funny and sad all at once.

On Saturday, we went into San Francisco on Saturday to see Hugh Jackman's one man show.  
For those that may not know (I didn't until Mom told me), Hugh Jackman's background is in musical theater.  And before the haters say anything, he spent half of his performance making fun of the fact that he's running around singing show tunes and is the guy who plays Wolverine.  It was an entertaining.  It was obvious this is something he really wants to do and was enjoying himself as he did it. He sang a lot of older stuff, I wish he did some newer stuff I knew.  I will say this, I'm now convinced Hugh Jackman is an ah-mazing actor because the fact that the same guy who has play Wolverine and other "manly" roles was the same guy I saw singing and dancing on stage is just awesome....and, of course, he wasn't bad to look at.

Just showing my appreciation for Hugh after the show.  ;o)
On Sunday we went to a Giants game.  They were playing, and beat 3-0, the Colorado Rockies.  I love baseball live.  On TV it can be painful...but live is way fun.  Now that I live near two professional teams (though few people think of the Oakland A's as a team) I need to learn more about baseball so I can go to more games and enjoy it more!
Our seats!
She left on Monday.  We had a good time while she was here.  I think she's already planning her next trip back!

-----


Some of you may have already received this picture from me.  I don't buy into the whole rapture thing (no offense to anyone who does) so I find these billboards amusing.  They are all over the place here.  But I started thinking about it and I am a little nervous about this date.  Not about "judgment day" or anything like that but about crazies who might think they're doing "God's will" on that day. I don't know if this is a nationwide thing or just California but either way on May 21st stay safe my friends. 

-----
So, I know you all have just been dying to know the results of Kenai's DNA test.  People just won't stop asking me about it...but wait no further.  I just found out today.  Here are the results: (amusing to say the least)



DNA Breed Identification
Ancestry Analysis
Date: 5/11/2011
Level: 2American Staffordshire Terrier
Level: 3Pekingese
Level: 4Airedale Terrier
Level: 4Bulldog




Your Ancestry Analysis is shown in "Levels". In processing, breeds are detected as ranges rather than absolute values. The Levels are defined as follows:

Level 1: Over 75% of the DNA found in your dog is from the breed listed.
    **Most mixed breed dogs will not show any breeds listed under Level 1 unless the dog has a purebred parent 
Level 2: Each breed listed represents between 37-74% of your dog's DNA.
Level 3: Each breed listed represents between 20-36% of your dog's DNA.
Level 4: Each breed listed represents between 10-19% of your dog's DNA.
Level 5: Each breed listed represents less than 10% of your dog's DNA.

American Staffordshire Terrier
Okay, this totally looks like him (he's not as broad though), but I was looking up info about the breed and what I found about it's temperament doesn't sound a whole lot like Kenai.

Pekingese
There's nothing physical or temperament wise that I see of this breed in Kenai...but you know I love the fact that a small, white, fluffy dog was listed...I just think about it and start laughing.  I can't make this stuff up.

Airedale Terrier
At first I thought this one was crazy too, but if you look at it's build and imagine with different type of fur I can totally see this in Kenai.  Plus, I was reading about the temperment of this breed...and parts sound just a little too familiar:

"Fairly friendly with strangers.The Airedale Terrier will usually do okay with children if they have early exposure and socialization, however they may play too rough for very small ones. Courageous and protective.    Intelligent, pleasant and loyal. Sensitive and responsive, he can be obedience trained at a high level. Airedale Terriers are fun-loving and playful  when they are puppies. Airedales will be happy to please you, if there is nothing more pressing in the environment (chipmunk, other dog, food). An Airedale is extremely loyal, but as an avid hunter you would have to be an ace trainer to get him to come away from a chipmunk even for raw steak! They are naturally lively and can be very rowdy if they do not receive enough daily mental and physical exercise. Train this dog not to jump on humans. The Airedale Terrier needs proper obedience training and an owner who knows how to be "Top Dog". The Airedale Terrier may have dominance challenges toward family members he sees as submissive. This can lead to willfulness and disobedience. They are not difficult to train, but they do not respond to harsh overbearing training methods. The Airedale Terrier is intelligent enough to perceive quickly what is required of it, but if you ask it to do the same thing over and over again it may refuse. Try to give it some variety to its training, making the exercise a challenge. They need a calm, but firm, confident and consistent handler. With the right handler, the Airedale Terrier can do well in various dog sports including defense dog trials. This breed generally gets along well with household cats and other animals, but they sometimes try to dominate other dogs. This depends upon the way the humans around the dog treat him, their training and the individual dog."


Bulldog
I knew this one would be on there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have and don't want to create a Google or Blogger account you should be able to use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" (just leave your name in the comment) option from the drop down menu below the comment box when leaving a comment!